Traveling with a family member who has a disability can present its own level of planning and awareness. The Arc of East Central Iowa is here to help! The Arc provides support and services for nearly 600 area residents with disabilities. With our community’s help, we have curated this diverse, fun, safe and accessible guide to Cedar Rapids.
Get in the game!
- Cedar Rapids Kernels Minor League Baseball at Veterans Memorial Stadium: Featuring a wide range of seating options including wheelchair and open space lawn seating. We recommend taking in a minor league baseball game for everyone!
- Mini Pines Golf Course at Twin Pines Golf Course: Tee off with the whole family at this fully ADA compliant 18-hole mini golf course.
- RoughRiders Hockey at ImOn Ice: Bring your cowbell and get in on a thundering good time! This high-energy environment is fully ADA compliant.
- Speedeez Indoor Karting: Visitors who are at least 54-inches tall can put the pedal to the metal and reach speeds up to 20mph whether or not they have a driver’s license.
- The Kiwanis Miracle League at Prospect Meadows: Catch a baseball game played on a custom-designed, rubberized turf field that accommodates wheelchairs and other assistive devices while helping to prevent injuries.
- Bowling: All four area bowling alleys are open and welcoming to group and family members with disabilities. Cedar Rapids Bowling Center, May City Bowl, Lancer Lanes, and SpareTime Entertainment.
Museums, Libraries & History
- African American Museum of Iowa: A fully accessible building, the African American Museum of Iowa helps to foster a greater understanding and appreciation of Iowa’s African American history and culture.
- Cedar Rapids Museum of Art: Surround yourself with the world’s largest collection of work by American artist, Grant Wood, in this beautiful, ADA compliant facility.
- Cedar Rapids Public Library: In addition to being ADA compliant and accessible, both campuses were Certified Sensory Inclusive in 2021. You will find designated quiet areas and sensory bags available. Plus, the library offers an always-growing collection of eBooks and traditional books, an information center and a technology hub.
- National Czech & Slovak Museum and Library: This inclusive, interactive experience is a can’t miss! Be sure to ask about the Hubert’s Night Owls program, specifically-designed for those with disabilities. During this time, the museum offers optional multi-sensory activities and fewer distractions for a less overwhelming experience.
- CREventsLive!: Check out the hottest live music and touring events in town. All four major venues in Cedar Rapids (The Paramount Theatre, ImOn Ice, Alliant Energy PowerHouse and McGrath Amphitheatre) are fully accessible.
- Indian Creek Nature Center: You can’t leave CR without a stop at “Amazing Space,” the center’s primary campus that is ADA compliant and one of the country’s most environmentally sustainable buildings.
- Morgan Creek Arboretum: With over 250 species of plant-life and an impressive showing of crab apple blossoms, the whole park includes accessible paths, pavilions and resources.
- Mount Trashmore: Reborn into a recreation site for bikers and hikers, the former landfill now features three different trails and visitors with a handicap placard are allowed to drive to the top where you’ll find one of the best views of the city.
- Movie Theatres: We recommend catching a movie at either of the open theaters in Cedar Rapids, Marcus Theatres and Collin’s Road Theatre.
- NewBo City Market: The Market is a year-round gathering place in the heart of New Bohemia. The fully accessible and sustainable building is a showplace for local, up and coming entrepreneurs and artisans.
- Theater Cedar Rapids: Our local community theatre is also fully accessible! Catch a show or musical while in town
The Great Outdoors:
- Noelridge Park: Visit for the accessible and inclusive playground, stay for walking trails, splash pads, tropical plants and green house!
- Old McDonald’s Farm at Bever Park: Join more than a century of visitors in experiencing the free petting farm on the southeast side of Cedar Rapids. Open spring through fall, animals vary by season but you will likely get the opportunity to see chickens, cows, ducks, goats, guinea pigs, rabbits and more! The open-air, outdoor farm is entirely wheelchair accessible.
- Pinicon Ridge: Take a short drive by picturesque Central City and visit the accessible and inclusive playgrounds at Riverside Shelter Area and Flying Squirrel Campground in Pinicon Ridge.
- Redmond Park: Visit Cedar Rapids’ newest inclusive playground at Redmond park.
- Lowe Park and Amphitheater in Marion has an all-inclusive playground and an outdoor theater
- Splash Pads are located at 15 Cedar Rapids, Marion and Hiawatha city parks.
- Parking: There are designated ADA parking areas at each city off-street parking facilities.
- 4th Avenue Ramp, 349 4th Ave SE, Cedar Rapids
- 3rd Avenue Ramp, 333 3rd Ave SE, Cedar Rapids
- GTC Ramp, 201 4th Ave SE, Cedar Rapids
- Southside Ramp, 600 2nd St. SE, Cedar Rapids
- Five Seasons Ramp, 400 1st Ave SE, Cedar Rapids
- Convention Center Ramp, 325 1st Ave SE, Cedar Rapids
- Rental Vehicles: Looking for a vehicle or bus while you're in town? These providors offer wheelchair accessible rentals. Call ahead to reserve before your trip!
- Accessible Iowa: Find more accessibility-friendly options across Iowa.
- Care Pro: Home Medical and Health Services
- More Questions? The Arc of East Central Iowa is happy to help. Contact Jenny Bosking at The Arc of East Central Iowa at 319-365-0487, ext. 1024.
We hope entering a vacation with known options that are reliable and fun allows everyone on your trip to enjoy their time before, during and after their travels. Cedar Rapids is a great destination for families who have a loved one with a disability and we’re so happy to share our community with you.