The Cedar Rapids Community
Cedar Rapids has ranked as the #1 best place in America for Children for five year in a row.
Located just 70 miles from the Mississippi River in Eastern Iowa, Cedar Rapids is positioned conveniently and centrally between six of the Midwest's major metropolitan areas: Chicago, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Omaha, and St. Louis.
The Cedar Rapids area - considered to be Eastern Iowa's hub - is located on Interstate 380 and U.S. Highways 30, 151 and 218.
As Iowa’s second largest city, Cedar Rapids is the perfect place to host your next event or conference. At the Cedar Rapids Tourism Office, we’re always thrilled to tell people about our amazing community.
With billions spent for downtown revitalization, there's an exciting energy in Cedar Rapids. We’re watching as historic cultural venues are renovated, unique restaurants and modern spaces emerge, and neighborhoods are renewed.
From the renovated historical Paramount Theatre; to dining at Cobble Hill, Bari and Black Sheep Social Club ; and Cedar Rapids was voted one of America's Best Cities on the Rise. Did you know Cedar Rapids has more engineers per capita than any other city in the US?
As the true heart of Eastern Iowa, our All-America City has world-class arts and culture, family-friendly festivals throughout the year, an ever-growing shopping scene, fabulous restaurants, award-winning wineries and breweries, and endless opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts.
With the newest convention space in Iowa—the downtown DoubleTree by Hilton at the Alliant Energy Power House —five full service hotels, and 3,200 rooms throughout the metro area, Cedar Rapids is poised to host convention and events from across the country. Excellent air service, as well as superb highways and interstates, make Cedar Rapids easily accessible from anywhere in the world.
In addition to our many amenities, Cedar Rapids is also …
- The largest corn-processing city in the world
- The second largest producer of wind energy in the United States
- One of the leading manufacturing regions in the United States
- One of the leading bio-processing and food ingredient centers in North America
- One of a few cities in the world with government offices located on an island
- Home to almost 300 different manufacturing plants and two dozen Fortune 500 companies, including Collins Aerospace, General Mills, and Quaker Oats.
Rankings and Honors
- Cedar Rapids voted #4 Best City for Millennials in the Midwest (2022)
- Cedar Rapids ranks as the #3 Best Place in America to Raise Kids (2020)
- Awarded the 2020 Most Caring City in Iowa. Cedar Rapids has the highest share of individuals working in altruistic fields statewide, including social work, healthcare, counseling, firefighting, teaching, and more.
- Business Insider named Cedar Rapids #11 in the top American cities to live in after the pandemic.
- Cedar Rapids Named #2 Most Recession-Resistant City 2020
- Cedar Rapids was named a 'mini megacity to watch' 2020
- Cedar Rapids ranked #12 Best Cities to Buy a House in America 2019.
- Cedar Rapids named #18 in the ranking of Safest Cities in America 2019.
- Cedar Rapids ranks #34 of Cities with the Most Affordable Homes in the US for 2020. The study found that 96 percent of homes are affordable for the average household living here.
- Cedar Rapids was named #2 on the list of the Ten Best Home Base Cities for Road Trippers.
- Named #16 Most Livable Mid-Sized Cities 2019.
- Cedar Rapids is #8 in the ranking of Top 10 Cities for Living the American Dream.
- Cedar Rapids was named the #4 on the list of Best American Cities to work in Tech 2019.
- Cedar Rapids made Money's list of Top 100 Best Place to Live 2019.
- Cedar Rapids was ranked #50 Best Places to Live in the US by Livability in 2019.
- Cedar Rapids ranked #15 most popular cities in America to relocate to (MoveBuddha.com, 2018)
- Cedar Rapids was named the 2018 Technology Community of the Year (Large) by the Technology Association of Iowa.
- Cedar Rapids was ranked #16 in the nation in 2018, and was recognized as one of eight medium-sized metro area with a high density of Inc. 5000 companies. Each year, Inc. Magazine publishes its list of the fastest-growing businesses in America—the Inc. 5000. To qualify, companies must be independent, privately-owned, located in the United States, and meet certain revenue thresholds. Of qualifying companies, those with the fastest three-year revenue growth rates are selected. Inc. 5000 firms exhibit very high growth compared with their peers, which makes them vital to the economy.
- Iowa ranked #1 state in the country by U.S. News and World Report in 2018.
- Cedar Rapids ranks as the #1 best place in America for Children for the five year in a row (2015-2019)
- Cedar Rapids ranked 19th overall Best Run City in America, and 11th Best City Services, 2017 by Wallethub.
- Cedar Rapids ranked #2 in list of Top 10 Places for Teachers 2017 by Smartasset.
- Iowa named the best state in the nation for retirement 2018 by MoneyRates.com.
- SmartAsset named Cedar Rapids a Top Ten Best City for Living the American Dream in 2017.
- Cedar Rapids ranked #4 in SmartAsset's Best Cities of 2016.
- Cedar Rapids was ranked #10 Best City for New Grads in 2017 by GoodCall.com.
- Cedar Rapids is the #3 Happiest City in America according to Zippa.com!
- Cedar Rapids is the #5 best city in America for millennials to 'Get Rich' according to Money Under 30.
- Cedar Rapids ranked #6 in "The Top 10 Best American Cities to Work in Tech in 2016" according to SmartAsset.com.
- In August 2016, Marion landed 28th on NerdWallet’s list of best small cities in the U.S. for families.
- Iowa is ranked #4 on Best States for Young People list from MoneyRates.com.
- Caring.com ranks Iowa #2 state to spend your golden years!
- Bankrate.com survey ranks Cedar Rapids #1 for job prospects!
- Cedar Rapids Ties as #6 Best City for Living the American Dream by SmartAsset.com!
- Once again Cedar Rapids was named one of the 10 Best Affordable Places to Live, 2016 by Livability.com. "Cedar Rapids may be the largest corn-processing city in the country, but the city's entertainment offerings, parks and low cost of living make it one of the best affordable cities to live in."(Source Livability.com, Feb. 2016).
- Plan your next date night now! Cobble Hill has been named Iowa's Most Romantic Restaurant by Town & Country magazine. (Source: Town & Country Jan. 2016)
- Cedar Rapids and Marion have been named Top 10 Most Livable Cities on AARP's Livability Index! Cedar Rapids is No. 7 on the Most Livable list for medium cities due to its innovative programs, such as the program that transforms empty lots into vegetable gardens. Cedar Rapids also ranked No. 4 as one of the Best Cities For Making New Friends because research indicates it's a city where residents look out for family and neighbors, join civic groups and vote often. Marion is No. 9 on the Most Livable list for small cities with researchers referencing its vibrant Uptown Marion neighborhood. (Source: AARP, Apr. 2015).
- We're happy! Based on low unemployment, low commute times, income, home ownership, proximity to parks and preserves the Cedar Rapids zip code 52411 has been named by Movoto Real Estate as the 5th Happiest ZIP Codes In America! (Source: Movoto Real Estate, Feb. 2015).
- Named All-America City in 2014 (Source: National Civic League, June 2014).
- Ranked #30 Smartest City In America in 2013 (Source: Lumosity).
- Ranked #1 in Iowa for Top 100 Best Places to Live and 30th in the nation in Livability.com's "Top 100 Best Places to Live" ranking (Source: Livability.com, October 2014).
- Chosen 9th for Top 10 Best Places to Retire 2013 in Livability.com's "Top 10 Best Places to Retire" ranking (Source: Livability.com, November 2013).
- Considered one of America's Best Cities on the Rise, according to Smarter Travel. We ranked 11th as an exceptional, up-and-coming destination (Source: Smarter Travel.com, September 2012).